Monday, November 23, 2009

Day Eight--The Luxury of Luxor part One




Midway through the journey, we actually have a morning off. I suppose even the Foreign Legion got the occasional rest period. Our hotel is the Sheraton Luxor and like most Sheratons, it’s lovely and modern. Which makes it all the more difficult to remember not to put the toothbrush under the tap or take a drink of the water.
What makes this place so wonderfully amazing is the view—a balcony overlooking the Nile. Could anything be more romantic? Fadel suggested that we might want to visit the Luxor museum or the Market on our free morning, but I opted to sit outside, enjoying the slight breeze, the chirping of the birds and work on my journal and this blog.


I’m not really sure why I feel so compelled to complete the blog, at least in journal form, even if I never get it transcribed and put up, but perhaps it is so that I don’t forget, so that I remember as much of this magical trip as I possibly can. And even a few days afterwards, I know the images will begin to fade and all that will be left of the memories will be the photos. I’ve found that happens frequently. Memory will be reduced to shuttered images and the nuances, the sensations and the emotions will gradually fade. This is one trip I’m determined to hold onto as many of the thoughts as I possibly can.


In addition to writing this morning, I’m also doing some housekeeping aka washing of clothes. We had a detailed list of what to bring and while I have been okay, I haven’t been nearly as fancy or as fashionable as the rest of my traveling companions. I brought three cotton tee-shirts, a couple of long sleeved cotton shirts and two silk/cotton blend tees. The silk/cotton were a mistake because they are just too hot to wear. The cotton is by far the best; little wonder Egypt is known for its cotton. If I had it to do over, I’d bring several more tee shirts and some Capri pants, instead of the safari type pants with the zip-off to shorts feature that I did bring. And I’d put in more jewelery. All the ladies on this trip have gorgeous bangles and spangles and since I brought exactly one pair of earrings and promptly lost one of them, I’ve been the shabby downstairs maid fashionwise. I suppose it really doesn’t matter if I look magnificent since I’m a drenched puddle of dripping hair and soaked shirt 90% of the time anyway. I am going to look for a pair of earrings at the market outside the hotel so when we have our final dress-up dinner, I can look semi-put together.

The morning off is a real blessing. I need to be able to put my feet up and just let my mind absorb what I’ve seen and experienced. In fact, I think I may take a little nap before we head out to see the Temples of Luxor and Karnack this afternoon, so this entry is going to be very short. I’m sure the afternoon will make up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment